Wednesday 11 July 2012

Remembering Ray Bradbury

I meant to post the day that Ray Bradbury died. As soon as he heard, my husband called me at work to make sure that my sister and I were ok. (We work together, and also she loved Ray Bradbury more than anyone else I've ever met. In my social circles that is saying a lot. She is currently working on not just one but three Bradbury inspired quilts.)

When he died, I had two of his books siting on my bookshelf and was concurrently reading them. (My kids kept pulling them off the shelf, so I would pick up whichever short story collection I could find and keep going with it.)

Bradbury was the embodiment of an era. I'm sorry that I never had the chance to meet or even correspond with him. The writing that he left behind continues to help shape my outlook on the world. He left a legacy of creativity, nostalgia, and social critique that will continue to be not only relevant but necessary to society.

I'm looking forward to when my kids are old enough for me to give them their first paperback copy of a Bradbury.

Rest in peace Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment