Saturday 15 September 2012

"Blood Red, Snow White" by Marcus Sedgwick

Some novels give you exactly what you expect (like Kelley Armstrong's books), and there's something to be said for consistency.  Some books disappoint you (for me,  "Eat, Pray, Love").  Other books are so utterly surprising that they take your breath away.  Whatever expectations you had shatter, and you are completely spellbound in the story.

"Blood Red Snow White," by Marcus Sedgwick, is one of these rare books.  It was charming, entrancing, and powerful.  It weaved together Russian history, fairy tales, and beautiful writing in such a way that I was completely engrossed by the book and disappointed when it ended (only because it meant that I had to stop reading).  I wish that I had written this book, but--as I didn't--I am so glad that I read it.

To read my full review of Sedgwick's "Blood Red, Snow White," click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment