Wednesday 15 January 2014

Introduction to Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

I previously posted links to presentations introducing my students to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  Today, I'm adding the next audiobook option: Shelley's Frankenstein.

Although most students have heard of Frankenstein, most think that Frankenstein is the lumbering, green monster, rather than the scientist.  Indeed, Frankenstein and his monster are both commonly misrepresented and misunderstood characters.  The actual novel  is beautiful, provocative, and insightful.  It tackles issues about human nature within the framework of an entertaining story.  Although told at the time as a ghost or horror story, Frankenstein is now recognized as one of the first true science fiction novels.  I love this novel, and I am excited to share it with some of my students this semester.

To view my Prezi presentation introducing Frankenstein to students, click here.

If you enjoy Frankenstein, you may also enjoy Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis.

(Image from Wikimedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment