Sunday 12 June 2011

The Sweetheart Season by Karen Joy Fowler

Since I read a lot, I'll read pretty much anything that catches my attention or is recommended to me.  I'll often go to the library and check if they have any other books by an author I've enjoyed before. 

This is how I found the book "The Sweetheart Season" by Karen Joy Fowler.  Like millions of readers (especially women and book clubs) around the world, I read Fowler's popular The Jane Austen Book Club.  Having read that novel, I was curious about Fowler's other works.

"The Sweetheart Season" was written before "The Jane Austen Book Club", and you can tell.  It's just not as good.  It was thought out and planned, but Fowler just didn't develop the characters as well.  The main problem with the novel is that you just don't care.  I kept thinking that I would get involved at some point, but it never happened.  Reading the book was a test of perseverance, and I never gained an interest in the setting, story, or characters.

For another review of "The Sweetheart Season", click here or here.
To visit Karen Joy Fowler's website, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment