Thursday 9 August 2012

"Midnight Never Come" by Marie Brennan

I recently took the kids to the library.  It was a branch that I had never been to before, but that they have often visited with daddy.  As soon as we walked through the door, Miriam (my six-year-old) grabbed my hand and said, "Come on, mum, I'll show you where the good books are."  She promptly led me to an aisle that had the fantasy section on one side and the non-fiction on the other side.  She was right; she did lead me to some good books (including "The New Feminist Agenda", which I checked out and will write about soon).

She's six, so she suggested that I read a book about fairies or dragons (and pointed out several suggestions).

Marie Brennan's "Midnight Never Come" is a book about fairies, but not anything like my daughter imagined.  These fairies (faeries) are incredibly political and live in Elizabethan England.  Their court is just as vibrant and dangerous as its human counterpart, and the two are often closer than either group would want to admit.  This is not your children's fairy story...but it's also not everything I could have wished for in a fairy story.  For a story about fairies, it was lacking magic, not in subject, but style.

For my full review of "Midnight Never Come", click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment