Tuesday 26 July 2011

"My Art Book"

My children love art.  My five-year-old is especially artistic and interested in art, and we try to take her seriously and encourage her.  She does, after all, come from a family with a lot of professional artists in it.  Lately when we go to the library, she heads straight for the bookshelf with the children's art books.

Some of these books, we've discovered, have been pretty awful.  Sometimes, though, she finds a book that is a little treasure.  The best book she's found so far is "My Art Book" published by DK.  If you have kids, this is a great book both to start informing them about art and to try out some great art projects of your own.

There are some really good ideas and clear instructions for making your own artwork.  My kids preferred reading and looking at the book for ideas, and then pulling out our art supplies so that they could work on their own "inspired-by" project.  This book led to a lot of entertainment.  I'm not sure how many hours my daughter spent thumbing through it or working on ideas inspired by it, but it was a lot.  After having the book out from the library for a full month they still weren't sick of it and still looked at it regularly.  This is a definite winner for an art book for kids.  We used it at home, but I think it would be a great resource for art teachers as well.

For more about why my family loved DK's "My Art Book", click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment