Tuesday 23 August 2011

"Dracula" by Bram Stoker

I read a lot of vampire books, so I decided to go back to the classic and read Bram Stoker's "Dracula". 

Although it wasn't the first piece of vampire fiction, "Dracula" is the classic vampire novel.  The funny thing is, when I read it, I wanted more of the vampire.  I felt like for a book called "Dracula", there simply wasn't enough of Dracula (who also uses the name De Ville...later borrowed by Cruella of "101 Dalmations").  That was a major way in which vampire fiction has evolved since then.  In Stoker's "Dracula", the vampire is an evil, "unholy" creature that the main characters hunt down and abhor.  In most modern vampire fiction, the vampire is one of the main characters that in some way you like.

Traditionally, there is something seductive and sexy about vampires (even in old succubus folklore).  There are moments of this in "Dracula", but only moments.  For example, the vampire tells the group of men hunting him, "Your girls that you all love are mine already; and through them you and others shall yet be mine..."  Most of the time, though, Dracula is more of an eccentric old man or generic shape shifting evil.

Yes, "Dracula" is a classic, and I'm glad that I read it.  It made me interested in how vampire fiction has evolved, and showed how different culture was then.  As far as simple entertainment goes, though, I have to say that I prefer modern vampire books.

No comments:

Post a Comment