Friday 11 March 2011

"Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" by Laurie Viera Rigler

Publishing company Bloomsbury recently ran a competition on Twitter to win copies of "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" and "Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict" by Laurie Viera Rigler.  Although I wasn't familiar with the books, I love Jane Austen.  I entered and was thrilled to win copies of the books (and about 500 bookmarks for them).

My first impression of "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" was good.  I love historical fiction and Jane Austen, and I enjoy fantasy fiction, so the basic concept of a modern woman being transported to Austen-ite England sounded entertaining to me.  Overall, though, the book was disappointing.  Although there were plenty of Austen references, they sometimes felt a bit contrived to me.  Also, the whole book was lacking in a bit of planning and clarity.  It was enjoyable for a bit of light reading, but utterly forgettable.  If you really love Jane Austen and Austen fan fiction, then you may enjoy this book as something to read during your commute to work or while lounging next to the pool on holiday.  Just don't expect too much from it.

For a longer review of "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict", click here.

Look forward to a review of the sequel, "Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict".  I'll read and write about it soon.

You can follow Bloomsbury or me on Twitter: @ BloomsburyBooks and @KeriWithington .

No comments:

Post a Comment